Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkeytini: A Thanksgiving Cosmo

Thanksgiving, year by year, is rising in the ranks as my #1 favorite holiday. There are a number of reasons for this:
  • Aside from some serious grocery shopping, the spirit of Thanksgiving hasn't been diluted with consumerist hype they way some other holidays have. 
  • It's a holiday with no dividing lines, at least within the U.S., it's a holiday everyone can celebrate. 
  • It's all about food. On Thanksgiving, we unite around the table to do two things: give thanks for our bounty, and EAT! We fill our bellies together, and appreciate the blessing of fullness.
  • It's simple, it's beautiful, it's delicious, and it's all about the most transformative force in the Universe: Gratitude. We each have things to be thankful for, and somehow, reflecting on them inspires generosity. Gratitude, I've found, works like that every single day of the year.
  • And of course there's my newest reason, which I'll present to you in just a moment.
Last Thanksgiving I shared a story with you called, "Spirit of the Raisin," about bringing deep presence to the ritual of eating. It's one of my all time favorite posts, but this Thanksgiving, I offer you a different flavor of holiday spirit: 

MARTINIS!!!!!!!!!

The Turkeytini
(Makes 2 cocktails)

This Thanksgiving-inspired cosmo is a festive, rosy-hued cocktail. Some very good friends gave us a beautiful bottle of Yazi Ginger Flavored Vodka from Hood River Distillers, which I highly recommend if you can find it. If not, use plain vodka, and toss a few coins of freshly sliced ginger root into your cocktail shaker. Hubs and I really enjoyed the uh, "recipe testing" for this one. ; ) 

In a cocktail shaker combine:

4 ounces Ginger Flavored Vodka (or substitute plain and toss in a few slices of fresh ginger root)
2 ounces cranberry juice
Juice from 1 freshly squeezed grapefruit
Juice from 1 freshly squeezed lime

Add plenty of ice, shake well, and pour into martini glasses. Garnish with one of the following:

A twist of grapefruit peel
A slice of lime
A thin slice of fresh ginger

Enjoy! But please, not if you are driving. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving dear Food-G readers. I will be counting you on my gratitude list in a very big way tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kacia said...

What a great twist on a martini! I love the name too:)

Shelly Borrell said...

I just like the name Turkeytini!! It's so cute and makes me laugh. I'd like one right now. I hope you're staying warm there. It's soooo cold here for us (me) So Cal wimps, hahaha. And I think Thanksgiving may be moving up my fave holiday list too. Enjoy the holiday season.

Shelly :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails