Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Japanese Daydream : Edamame Hummus


I owe this one to Trader Joe's, and to my brother and sister-in-law, Dan and Nicole. They shared their little tub of Trader Joe's Edamame Hummus with me on a recent summer visit to Seattle. It's one of those brilliant ideas that makes you wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Sadly, there's no "Joe's" in Juneau, so when the hankering hit, I was on my own. Luckily, I had inspected the label closely when first introduced to the stuff. It pretty much read like the ingredient list of any basic hummus, minus the garbanzo beans : tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, etc. Easy enough, right? But I wanted to give it my own thumbprint.

To me, edamame conjures happy Japanese daydreams on my tongue...I taste slick green kidney-shaped beans adorned with crisp crystals of salt, I smell the rich ferment of soy sauce, the deep nasal burn of wasabi, and the fruity fire of pickled ginger. Suddenly I'm at Shiro's or Maneki again, and the floaty warmth of hot sake fills my head. THAT is what I wanted my Edamame Hummus to do. A lofty goal to be sure, but I can say with confidence that I succeeded. Hummus may have origins in the Middle East, but this Japanese-inspired delight will take you on a journey back to your favorite sushi bar. Kanpai!

Japanese-Style Edamame Hummus (makes about 2 cups)

Serve with crispy rice crackers.

1 - 12 oz. bag frozen, shelled edamame (soy beans)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame tahini
1 tablespoon pickled ginger
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
1 large clove garlic, minced

Boil edamame in well-salted water, about 7 minutes or until quite soft. Drain, and rinse with cold water to cool the beans. Add to food processor along with remaining ingredients, and pulse until blended. Taste and adjust seasonings. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Helen said...

WOW- this looks great! Love the addition of wasabi and pickled ginger to the mix: all of the best parts of a nice sushi dinner, ground into a paste! Definitely going to be trying this soon. -Helen

Southern Grace Gourmet said...

I'm going to make that! Why didn't I think of that! So simple and delicious!

D said...

I literally was enjoying a mouthful of TJ's version of this when I got your tweet about this recipe in a txt on my phone. No joke.

Gotta make it!

figtree said...

I do have a Trader Joes about 30 minutes away..Im going tomorrow to buy this hummus as Im too lazy to make it. Yours does look delicious!!!Figtreeapps

Divina Pe said...

I just love edamame. I'm supposed to make some edamame quacamole. :) This one is a must try as well. Just lovely.

Jessie said...

I love trader joe's too! Too bad it's not close enough to my house to go everyday :( I'm loving the use of the wasabi paste because it gives this hummus a nice kick

Jessie said...

I love trader joe's! too bad is not close enough to my house to go there everyday :( that edamame hummus sounds great especially with the wasabi paste, I know this hummus has a great kick to it

Cookin' Canuck said...

Before I read through your recipe, I was thinking that wasabi paste would taste really good with edamame. Well, you satisfied my virtual craving with your recipe. I'm looking forward to trying this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails