Friday, April 24, 2009

What a Jook

This morning I woke up feeling all oogy. Stuffy head. Body aches. And not especially strong of appetite. This was an occasion for the paragon of comfort food: a soupy rice porridge, filled with bits of chicken, and perfumed with green onion, cilantro, and ginger. Jook, also known as Rice Congee is of Chinese origin. To me, it is the edible equivalent of a warm Vernor’s Ginger Ale and a stack of Saltines, the perfect antidote when nothing sounds good and the forces of evil are winning the bacterial battle in your tummy.

One of my most beloved convenience foods is the rotisserie chicken. I make good use of it here, and shamelessly celebrate the fact that I don’t have to handle raw chicken or take the time to roast my own when I’m feeling so crummy. Wait, I feel a poem coming on. . . Oh rotisserie chicken, with your crispy golden skin. How I love the way you smell up my car on the ride home, and offer me your snacking wings as I pull you from your plastic dome. . . Anywho, most likely you will not use all of the chicken in the soup; but stay tuned for my most absolute favorite (and healthy) Roast Chicken, Brie, and Fig Sandwich (to be posted in the next couple of days).

4 comments:

Jeanah414 said...

Did you know "jook" is the Korean word for rice porridge? We make something similar to this using cornish hens. Yummmm.

D said...

Dude, I've totally recited a strikingly similar poem after picking up a rotisserie chicken.

jonas said...

lovin' the mouth watering commentary, ginny. great to see your words again. i'm a droolin' fool. congee me up please!

AnaVera said...

In the Philippines we call it "lugaw" or "lugau." It's delish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails